Thursday, March 14, 2013

Do you see it?

Over the past week, I have developed a new enemy. My alarm clock.

As you all know, last Sunday we all had the pleasure of springing forward and all that involves. I am looking forward to warmer weather and longer days as much as or more than the next girl, however, losing an hour tends to put a kink in my sleeping patterns for a couple of weeks. Though all of my clocks are changed, my internal clock seems to tell me I will be alright if I stay up an extra hour after I get in bed scrolling through Pinterest or reading a book.

Unfortunately, it is not my internal clock, but the one on the wall, that dictates the schedule of the working world. As my alarm goes off, I open my eyes to see a faint glimmer of light coming through my window. More often than not, I pull the covers back over my head, push snooze, and lament the fact that I stayed up an hour later than I should have.

On Saturday morning, ironically the day before the time change, I woke up early to help register a volunteer group for the nonprofit I work for at a local church. Once a month, members of the community gather at this church and have the opportunity to choose between 10-15 different organizations to volunteer at for the morning.

Before the volunteers are dispersed to their selected work sites, the church's volunteer coordinator always does a short devotional and send off. If I am honest, I don't always pay the best attention. I am usually distracted gathering my things, shutting down my computer, and getting ready to go the work site. Last Saturday, however, something she said caught my attention, and it has stuck with me.

Right before sending the volunteers off, she asked the crowd in the auditorium if anyone had seen the sunrise that morning. A couple of individuals raised their hands. She went on to tell us that it was absolutely breathtaking. The next phrase she said will stay with me for a long time. "As we all go our separate ways, we can trust that God will provide a thousand other beautiful sunrises for us today. Maybe not everyone will see them, but you will if you take the time to notice the breathtaking moments God places in front of you."

The sun rises every day the Lord graces us with. Whether I have my covers over my head or I am wide awake, I can trust and know that it is there. It is my choice to recognize and take in the beauty I know exists or close my eyes and let it pass me by.

How many sunrises does the Lord bless us with that we miss each day? We pull the covers of our life over our head and live within their confines. We wallow in the mistakes we have made and determine we know the road to make ourselves happy.

The thing is, just like the sunrise, blessings are always there.

We have to make the conscious effort to take the covers off and look for them. God promises good things for those who follow him. Not everyone will see the same blessings every day, but take the time to look up and notice the ones God places right in front of you. Look for joy where you can trust it will be found found.

When I look at the sunrise in the morning, it makes me stop and remember that I serve a God who creates beautiful things. The sunrise somehow makes everything else seem insignificant in the moment. The beauty of the Lord is worthy of thanks and praise and provides an overflow of joy.

The same beauty and joy can be found in the blessings, moments, and people God places in our path. Take the covers off of your head. Don't push snooze and miss out on the life in front you. He makes beautiful things. Trust in the beauty and joy waiting for you.

Have faith. There is beauty in the morning sunrise and beauty in this very moment we have been blessed with. Do you see it?


No comments:

Post a Comment