Monday, April 8, 2013

The words that changed my life.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in an airport traveling to visit family in Phoenix. As usual, I arrived at the airport two hours early. Even though I know that is entirely unnecessary, I have come to relish the ample time I give myself between arriving at the airport and getting in line at my gate. If you follow my blog or know me in person, you might think I have some sort of airport fetish. If that term can be used in a positive light, I will gladly take ownership of it. Airports, in my opinion, are some of the most mesmerizing, awe inspiring places one could possibly visit. As soon as I make my way through the automatic doors, curiosity overtakes me, I take in a deep breath, and await the conversation I know is awaiting me inside those walls or the confines of my flight.

On this particular day, my timeliness turned out to backfire, or so I thought. After making my way through security, a notice came over the intercom announcing that a flight would be delayed for 2 hours due to mechanical issues on the incoming flight. I checked my boarding pass, and sure enough, it was my flight. A friend had been gracious enough to drop me off at the airport so I wouldn't have to pay to park for a week. In turn, I was now at the airport with 4 hours to spare instead of two. I opted for the sit down restaurant to kill some time. Within my memory, this was the first time I have ever eaten at a sit down restaurant alone, and I can't say I hated it. During that dinner, I finished reading what now I would say is one of the greatest stories and testimonies I have ever read. If Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis isn't on your reading list, I suggest you add it. The author's constant faith for the Lord's provision day to day both floored and inspired me with each page I turned.

After leaving the restaurant, I headed to my terminal. I had successfully knocked out one hour. After sitting for a few minutes, a man came up to me and said, "You're still here?". As a girl alone in an airport, I was a little thrown off and gave the man a reluctant glance. He proceeded to tell me we had gone through security together, and then I realized that he did look familiar and that we had briefly spoken only an hour and half earlier. I'm too young to have short term memory loss, right? I'm starting to wonder.

We got into a conversation and soon realized we were on the same flight to Phoenix. He told me about his family, wife, and kids and I told him about my job and the family I was headed to visit in Arizona. The more I talked to him, the more I began to see his family's story unfold before my eyes, and I was once again reminded of the extraordinary qualities only an airport terminal can hold. As it turned out, his son was a two time leukemia survivor. He fought twice and won the battle. His son's name is Ben. During his battle, Ben was given the opportunity to have a wish granted by the Make a Wish Foundation. I have always been intrigued by this organization, seeing the wishes granted to meet famous athletes and musicians, take once in a life time trips, and most of all by the smiles they bring to a child's face in what may be the darkest times their family will ever face.

Ben's dad assured me that the parents have no sway in the child's wish decision. He assured me that if he had a choice, he would have urged Ben to ask the foundation for a brand new Ferrari. Ben, however, had different plans. He wished to create a video game that would help other kids who, too, were battling cancer. He was given the opportunity to work with a famous video game designer, and they created a game where a kid on a skateboard was on a mission to battle the different symptoms of cancer symbolized in different forms. The game is now in five different languages and is still being used today. Ben was even honored by the Dalai Lama for his wish. What?! (I googled it. It's true.) The man told me this all occurred when his son was 11. He is now 18 and attending school to become a doctor so he can help children who are battling leukemia.

The man told me that he and his wife wanted to have more kids but didn't because of their family's long battle with Ben's leukemia. However, it is never too late to create a new chapter in your story. The man proved that as I continued to listen. Two years ago, he and his wife adopted an 11 year old girl they had been fostering into their family. He told me they had the means to give her a family, so it was a no brainer to make it official since they had already fallen in love with her. He went on to tell me that I would love his wife. He told me that she loves adventure and wakes up every Sunday morning to put the family in the car to drive in any given direction until they find a place they want to stop that they have never been.

The man told me he had traveled all over the world and asked if I like to travel. I told him I would love to travel, but didn't have the means to do so at the current time. He then proceeded to give me some advice. He said to figure out a way to make it happen. If I dreamed it up, I should do it. He said, "Live your life. It's an adventure. Don't let it pass you by."

Often I hear statements like the one the man I met in the Tulsa airport terminal spoke. However, his actions and stories backed up his words. The expression on his face and the joy in his voice when talking about his family were sentiments of a life well lived, wisdom through adversity, and a passion for living life to it's fullest no matter what is thrown in the way.

My flight delay turned out to be a blessing in disguise, an opportunity to listen and take in that could have passed me by. Those who don't know me very well may say that I am quiet. I choose to say that I just enjoy listening. Behind each person, each moment, and each place there is a story waiting to be told. A story that needs a listening ear. A story that is waiting to tug at heartstrings and change a life.

How many times do I miss out on an awe inspiring moment the Lord places in front of me just because I don't take the time to stop and listen to the words and the emotion behind them? I don't have a count, but there is one thing I know. I never regret the times I take to stop and listen, and I continue to be floored by the stories the Lord places in my path. Words spoken by others have the power to effect change. Whether it is an "I love you" from a family member, words on the pages of a book,  or a story spoken by a stranger, don't underestimate the timing and the purpose of the words in your path. 

In an airport last month, I was reminded that life is short and that there are no guarantees. I was inspired by the selfless heart of an eleven year old boy I have never met and received encouragement to evaluate the kind of story I want to live, all because I took my headphones out to take in the words of a stranger.

As you are going through your day, week, month, and year, I encourage you to take some time to ask the Lord to show you where He wants you to stop and listen. We are all walking this journey of life together, and I know that is no coincidence. We can all learn not only from our mistakes and triumphs, but also from the stories and the words of others.

There are incredible stories being lived every day. I can only hope I get to hear the words that comprise a handful of them. Looks like I need to make those travel plans and visit a few more terminals soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment