Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"s" is for spectacular and other common misconceptions

Looking back at childhood, most people have memories of what their favorite things to do were. Growing up in the  eighties and early nineties, POGS, collecting Beanie Babies, and playing with Polly Pockets may have ranked high on many individuals in my generation's lists. You may have been the star on your tee ball team or the fastest kid in P.E. class. If someone were to ask you what your favorite thing to do growing up was, what would be the first thing that pops into your head? (the real first thing, not the one you think of after you decide your first answer is lame)

I have a confession. Growing up, I was a nerd. Take note, somewhere in the past ten years, being a so called "nerd" has become cool or trendy. Taking a photo of a book and your glasses on instagram with the caption "I'm such a nerd" seems to be what the "cool kids" (or maybe just hipsters) are doing these days. Let's be real. I wasn't a "trendy" nerd. I was a cry if I didn't get an "A", read books for fun, curve breaking nerd. During a group project in high school, a classmate asked me if all I did in my spare time was read books. He meant it as an insult. At the time, I wanted to slap him across the face (Funny, I would be flattered if someone issued that question to me now).

Though I have countless fond memories of building dream houses for my barbies out of tinker toys with my sister, when I ask myself the question I presented to you, the first two words that pop into my head are as follows: Spelling Bee.

Most of you probably participated in a spelling bee growing up. I actually think it was a requirement in our elementary classes to participate in the preliminary class level competition. Most kids probably viewed this as an opportunity to get out of the normal day's routine, get a chance in the spotlight, and try to spell a word without be penalized on a report card for incorrect placement of a letter. Though I generally had stage fright and lived for getting A's on my report card, I viewed the yearly spelling bee in a slightly different light.

A few weeks before the "competition", they would give us a packet containing nearly 1,000 grade level spelling words. The day I got the list, I would take it home and began to memorize it. Every single letter. My mother got roped into my obsession. I would have her quiz me on the words every night, starting at the beginning of the packet. If I missed one word, I would make her go back and start at word one, even if I had already made it to word 867 (or the like).

Most of the time, my studying paid off, and I would make it to the next round participating with students from other schools. I have an embarrassing box of spelling bee trophies in my childhood closet to prove it (and a superfluous knowledge of the spellings of words I will never use in conversation such as "tintinnabulation". Look it up).

I remember one year in particular. I was called to the stage to spell agape. I walked up to the stage, and I spelled the word. a-g-a-p-e (I still affirm it was correct). Much to my dismay, the judges told me I had misspelled the word and to take my seat with the rest of the class. My annunciation wasn't clear enough and the "p" and "e" had blended together. I resigned to tears and walked my 4th grade self back to sit with my mom. The fact that I have memory of this implies I am still bitter about my loss. I'll let you make that determination. I had memorized all the words. I knew them frontwards and backwards. I was a walking spell check. That knowledge wasn't enough, though. I wanted the recognition. There is a certain competitive gene I am lacking when it comes to contact sports that I make up for in situations such as these (and games of Scrabble and Boggle. Let's play sometime).

We all long for approval. Our sinful nature drives us to selfish thoughts and the need to bring glory to ourselves, our accomplishments, and our desires. If we are going to put in the work and do the right thing, we want to reap the benefits from it.

The women's small group I am blessed to be a part of just started Matt Chandler's book and study titled, The Explicit Gospel. I am only one chapter into the book, and we are one week into the study, but I can't stop thinking about the things I have read. In the first chapter, Chandler repeatedly reminds the reader that the purpose of everything God created and has done is to show His glory. Nothing God has created and no plan he has purposed is intended to bring glory elsewhere.

When it comes to creation, it's easy for me to think about God's glory. I am in awe of every sunrise I see on the way to work, and the sound of a mountain stream stops me dead in my tracks. Maybe that's why I love being in Colorado so much. It's the one place I fully recognize that I am constantly surrounded by God's glory.  However, when it comes to the future and my actions, I have the tendency to turn the focus back to me, even in spiritual matters.

"God is for you and he delights in you. You aren't spectacular. God is making much of God in your salvation." -Matt Chandler

Wait a minute. It's not about us?

I've been thinking a lot this week about the things I do, my motives, the things I say, the plans I make etc. and how they pail in light of bringing glory to God. So many of the things we want aren't bad things, but maybe we want them for the wrong reasons. Are we truly seeking to give God the glory his presence demands with our lives and daily decisions, or are we seeking to further our selfish desires?

Maybe you want to move up in your career. Are you looking to glorify yourself to others through possessions or are you looking for ways to bless others with the abundance God blesses you with? Perhaps you are single and hoping for a marriage in your future. Is this born out of selfish desires and seeking fulfillment in another person, or are you praying to ask God to only give you a spouse if you will be able to better serve his Kingdom and glorify Him better within a marriage relationship than you could alone?

In his book, Chandler states that our sole purpose is to glorify and worship God. How do we do that on a daily basis? A portion of his definition of worship says this: "It is the way of life for those entranced by and passionate for the glory of God."

It all comes down to the heart. This week I am praying for God to make my heart His. If our hearts are in tune with the Lord, our natural response will be to live out a life that gives Him the glory he deserves. God doesn't need us, but he wants us.

We may not be spectacular on our own, but we don't have to be. Because he is. He is more than spectacular. He is glorious. We don't have to live for approval or recognition. We have been given a greater purpose. No matter how much we memorize and how much work we put in, if we are living for a trophy at the end, we are missing the point. The letters we place on the pages of our life story, no matter the order, should all spell out the same thing. Glory to God. Glory to Him who created us, wants us, and gave it all so we could live.



2 comments:

  1. LOVE this... so true! I'm really excited to get into the book this week!

    Also, I was right there with you on the spelling bees! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    Glad I wasn't the only one! I love it!

    The book is fantastic. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete