Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Brown paper packages tied up with string

On Friday morning, along with the rest of my errands, I made a trip to one of my favorite places. I have a feeling this particular place may not rank high on most of your lists, especially during the holidays.

The United States Post Office.

The US establishment most love to hate. There are a few things you can be sure to find at almost any given Postal establishment during the month of December. To name a couple:
-  Foot-tapper Terry- a "Terry" will generally have several characteristics and ticks that will allow you to pick her out in the line immediately. She may or may not tap her foot, look at her watch, turn her head in every direction to make sure everyone in the front and back of the line knows how irritated she is to be waiting, and release a good number of frustrated sighs before reaching the front of the line to weigh her package and move on her way.
- Halting Harry- "Harry" is most often in line right in front of you. He reaches the front of the line, and you see the bright light at the end of the tunnel that is your wait. However, Harry forgot his debit card pin number, doesn't know the zip code he left off his package, and answers his cell phone in the middle of the check out process.

And then there's me. Post offices rank up pretty close to bookstores, libraries, and airports in my book. If you know me at all, that's saying quite a bit. Unlike a bookstore, I don't love a post office for the smell or the look, but more the general air and the actions the building facilitates.

There's not much that compares to getting something in the mail. Not an email, not a message through social media (don't even get me started on that), but a physically stamped envelope or package. Holding an envelope with a handwritten address brings a smile to my face like not much else can. I love getting mail, and I love sending it. I love the intentionality and the connectivity.

Sending and receiving mail is a dying art, as evidenced in layoffs in the industry in recent years, the rise of online bill pay, and the soaring success of social media outlets, text messaging, and smart phones. Convenience is king, and unfortunately, postal parcels don't fall under that category for most.

When I stand in line at a post office, I can't help but look around at the envelopes and packages my fellow peers in line carry. I wonder what's inside each sealed package, where it's going, and who is going to be on the receiving end.

I may not have the answers to those questions, but I do know one thing. Someone took the time and made it a priority to address an envelope or seal a box to make sure the item they are holding would be delivered to the intended recipient. Convenience goes out the window when you are standing in a line of Harrys and Terrys in my opinion. But it's more than worth it.

In general, should relationships and connections really be about convenience though? Our society seems to think so. A text message trumps a phone call which trumps an in person conversation. Almost any of those things would happen before someone would fork over a whopping 45 cents to mail a handwritten letter. I am not saying technology is bad. I use it, probably as much or more than most. That doesn't mean I love it though. Technological communication is obviously the way our society is moving. We should use it, and we almost have to in order to be a functioning member of society.

I don't think that means we have to throw out the old methods of communication though. I have been told many times, even this week, that I am an old soul, but just hear me out. Just because we can text doesn't mean we shouldn't pick up the phone to make a call every once in a while. Quality time is not replaceable by keeping up with the Browns through their Facebook timeline. And don't underestimate the ability of a handwritten letter and the effect it has on the heart.

Today after work, I went to my mailbox and was pleasantly surprised to find a hand addressed red envelope waiting for me. I immediately recognized the return address to belong to one of my dearest friends. I was a bit confused before I opened the envelope, seeing as she had already given me a Christmas card last week. However, when I opened the card, a smile immediately came to my face. She had said she knew she had already given me one Christmas card, but wanted to make sure I received one through the Postal system. Talk about intentionality.

This past week, in light of recent national tragedy, I think we all have stopped to evaluate the importance of those God has blessed us with and the fragility of time and life. Too often, I take my friendships and relationships for granted. There is so much beauty in the individuality and spirit God has placed within each of us to make us who we are.

Take time to relish that beauty in those you hold dear. Take the time to get to know those around you. Ask about their life, share in their struggles, and rejoice with them through God's blessings. Make that phone call. Ensure that quality time is a priority. Seal up that package. Share the love God has placed in your heart.

I have heard it said that life is meant to be lived. In addition, I think it is meant to be shared. Be real. Be intentional. Take the time to share love and share life. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment