Friday, January 3, 2014

Expect the Unexpected.

I have been asked several times over the past few weeks what my new years resolutions are and what I am looking forward to in the new year. These questions naturally made me think back on the past year (not that it takes much for me to be reflective), all I that has happened, and all I have learned.

Last year, I resolved to not make any New Year's resolutions. I probably was just trying to go against the grain. However, that is not to say that 2013 was not a year of growth, change, and memorable experiences. As I thought back, I realized it was quite the contrary.

This might sound cliche (what are blogs for after all), but 2013 was the fastest year I have yet experienced. I boarded several airplanes, traveled to places I had never been, purchased a car on my own, celebrated the birth of a new niece, celebrated the weddings and engagements of several friends, entered a cherry pie in the state fair, helped photograph a wedding, and formed new friendships, relationships, and mentorships. 2013 has held it's share of laughs, tears, long conversations, and life realizations.

Whether I want to admit it or not, I'm a planner. I like to know what is going to happen and when. Turns out life doesn't usually work that way, but looking back on the past year, I would have to say that I am glad.

All of my favorite things about the past year were things I didn't plan for. I didn't ask God for them, and I couldn't have come up with them on one of the countless lists that cover my desk at work (yes, I should add that I killed a tree this year with the amount of "to do" lists I made to my list of yearly accomplishments).

The friendships and relationships I have built over the past year leading up to this point have been one of the biggest blessings in my life thus far. People I was just getting to know or hadn't even met yet this time last year are now some of the biggest parts of my life. This year, God has brought people into my life who daily inspire me to be better, point me toward him, ask me tough questions, and even people who will won't keep talking to me about a situation if I haven't prayed about it first. This year, God has brought me joy and laughter, all while teaching me more about myself, Him, and His world.

Last week, a good friend sent me a blog to read. In it, the author listed Psalm 16:11. I looked it up, and it stuck with me (and is literally stuck to my bathroom mirror as well). It reads:

"You make known to me the path of life, you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."

Over and over again, it seems, God reminds me that His plans are better than mine. You think by now, I would have learned that lesson, but thankfully God is a God of grace who doesn't seem to mind sending the same gentle reminders over and over again to a chronic list maker like me.

That verse in Psalm exemplifies what I feel I learned as a whole in the past year. It was a year of learning how to trust and how to let go. God showed me his faithfulness in ways I could have never imagined. By letting go and trusting in Him, His plans fell into place with each step I took, reminding me once again, that plans I make on my own pale in comparison. The beauty and joy that followed taught me to cherish the unexpected - the trust it requires and the beauty it creates. In the past year I have experienced joy in a new way, a joy that I found by stopping the plans and taking time to notice the small moments God places in front of me each day as they come.

This year, I actually did make a list of New Year's resolutions. I won't list them all here, but I do plan on using more postage stamps this year (I'll gladly take your address) and reluctantly joined the other resolution junkies at the gym last night. Resolutions aside, I know beyond a doubt what I am looking forward to the most in 2014, and it's not the accomplishment of any of the goals I established on my list.

This year, I hope and pray for the unexpected.  I expect God to work in ways I can't fathom at this moment. I recognize that the people, circumstances and conversations coming from the Lord over the next 12 months will be the things that change my life and give me the opporutnity to be His hands and feet to work in the lives of those around me. I am looking forward to the unexpected and waiting expectantly for God to work in big ways.

As you go into 2014, expect the unexpected. Expect beauty. Expect God to blow you away when you hand your life over to Him. And expect the joy that He promises will follow.

Here's to 2014. Here's to joy. And here's to another new year where we don't have to walk alone.

1 comment:

  1. Love this, and love you, Kelly Marie! So thankful you are a part of my life - you inspire me to be more joyful and open to the little 'interruptions' God puts in my life! :)

    Minor correction: You entered a *winning* cherry pie in the State Fair. ;-)

    ReplyDelete